- Growing economy – now worth over £23 billion. 19.1% growth over the last five years (UK average 16.1%) .
- Plentiful, skilled workforce – over a third of the population educated to degree standard or above, rising to 43% in parts.
- High employment rates – 78.3% compared to the UK average of 74.5%.
- Research and development capability – the South West has soared ahead of other parts of the UK in R&D. Devon has among the highest number of granted patents in the region.
- Strength in higher education – a large proportion of academic research from our 3 leading universities is rated as world-leading or internationally excellent.
- Innovation and entrepreneurship – Devon’s business survival rate is over 5% above the national average and the number of patents granted per capita is 3 times the UK average.
- Easy access to markets – one of the UK’s fastest growing airports and rapid transport links make Devon an excellent gateway to the UK, Europe and beyond.
- Lower overheads – labour costs in Devon are highly competitive, rents and rates for office space, retail premises and factories are also significantly lower.
- Outstanding quality of life – consistently ranked the best place in the UK to live.